Following an accident, illness or injury, most people need time to recover fully. This is especially true for older adults who recover more slowly from significant incidents. Years ago, hospitals were set up so that these individuals could stay as long as they needed in order to recover enough to go home. Today, seniors and their loved ones have a different option in order to get back to a normal level of function: short-term rehabilitation.
“Short-term rehabilitation is one of the best solutions for seniors who need extra help in order to return home safely following a hospital stay,” says Charles Benjamin, Executive Director of Harrogate, a premier active senior living community just minutes from Toms River and the Monmouth/Ocean County beaches. “It’s an excellent service that results in fewer rehospitalizations, lowers health care costs, fewer health complications after leaving the hospital and generally better outcomes for patients.”
Short-term rehabilitation at Harrogate combines therapies and rehabilitation services to help seniors regain their independence, getting them back to where they want to be. “Our goal is to quickly restore confidence and strength to return you to the things you love to do as soon as possible,” Charles says. “We’re proud that our average length of stay is five days fewer than the national average, meaning that our rehabilitation clients are able to return to their lives that much sooner.”
No two short-term rehabilitation centers are created equal, so if you’re looking into options for yourself or a loved one, here is some general information to help you make the right choice for your needs.
What is short-term rehabilitation?
Short-term rehabilitation (STR) is inpatient care that’s focused on healing and therapies that allow the individual to become well enough to go home or be discharged to outpatient care. Most short-term rehabilitation takes place in special clinics and facilities, which can be standalone, aligned with a medical center or located at a senior living community.
What sort of care needs would qualify me for short-term rehabilitation?
Because STR is a medical service that can be covered by medical insurance (such as Medicare or private insurance), it’s natural to know what sort of issues or care needs would be covered. Generally, a person who goes into STR is medically stable, but still needs supervised care around-the-clock in order to be safe. If you or a loved one were dealing with injuries from a car crash, wounds that are slow to heal, recovery following a big surgery or progressive illnesses are all conditions that could qualify you for short-term rehabilitation.
How long will I be in short-term rehabilitation?
The short answer is: as long as it takes for you to get well! The longer answer is that you will typically remain in short-term rehabilitation until your care team believes you’re healthy and well enough to be discharged back home. This can be anywhere from two weeks to a month or even more. It all depends on your individual care needs.
What questions should I ask to find the right short-term rehabilitation provider for me?
Since you or your loved one will be staying in short-term rehabilitation for some time, you want to make sure you chose a place that meets both your care needs. Here are some questions to ask to make sure you’re choosing a good facility for you.
- Is the center licensed and certified? You’ll want a center that’s been licensed by your state and certified by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) – that way, you know you’re receiving the best possible care.
- Does the center have the treatments and therapies you will need? Obviously, this is a very big requirement. You’ll want to make sure that the facility can actually treat the care needs that you have.
- Is there a multidisciplinary team of licensed medical professionals on staff? This allows for a more holistic, whole-person approach to your care.
- Is your insurance accepted? Even though insurance does cover most costs for short-term rehabilitation, there can be out-of-pocket costs, and you’ll want to manage your expenses accordingly.
- Is the clinic near you and convenient for friends and family? Experts say that it’s a lot easier for people to heal when they’re surrounded by their loved ones. A convenient location makes it easier for family and friends to visit and support you in your recovery.
Short-Term Rehabilitation at Harrogate
Residents at Harrogate have priority access to our short-term rehabilitation care – and what could be better than recuperating in a place you already know as home? However, you don’t have to be a current Harrogate resident in order to use our rehabilitation services. We offer direct admittance, and we accept Medicare; all Medicare Advantage Plans, including HMOs, long-term care insurance, and private pay. We offer a wide variety of rehabilitation services and care specialties to ensure that you get back on your feet as soon as possible.
We provide comprehensive therapies up to seven days a week, including physical, occupational and speech therapies. Here are some of our specialties:
- Cardiac rehabilitation: Improving outcomes with multifaceted, medically supervised care
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: Boosting breathing and functioning to the highest level possible
- Pain management: Reducing discomfort with compassionate continuous pain monitoring
- Wound care: Reduced infection and improved healing with careful incision-site monitoring
- IV therapy: Administering optimal care with the help of effective intravenous therapy
- Palliative and hospice care: Maximizing quality of life through end-of-life care
- Dermatology: Specialized treatment for skin, hair and nails
- Respite care: Providing temporary care for a loved one and relief for caregivers
- Podiatry: Providing essential foot care
- Optometry: Monitoring and managing healthy vision and eye care
- Fall prevention program
- Post-acute therapy
Our 5-star CMS-rated facility (that’s the highest rating a short-term rehabilitation center can achieve) has board-certified physicians on site four days a week, and specialists on staff around the clock. We offer a very high staff-to-patient ratio, ensuring the very best care for you. Our rehabilitation services are offered seven days a week, and we work with each individual to develop personalized care plans that ensure optimal outcomes.
When you choose Harrogate for short-term rehabilitation, you’ll have the benefit of all our thoughtful services and amenities on our beautiful campus. Our restaurant-style dining will delight as well as nourish your tastebuds, and you’ll enjoy a full calendar of events and activities to make your days exciting and fun. At Harrogate, you’ll find everything you need to get you on the road to recovery swiftly, efficiently and successfully.
This Is What “Worry Less, Live More” Looks Like
Located near Toms River, New Jersey, Harrogate offers a worry-free, fulfilling and experience-rich life. Here, you’ll be free of the hassles of homeownership while having access to all of the best that life has to offer. From opportunities to engage, enrich and challenge yourself to the peace of mind of future care, socialization and so much more.
No matter what your needs may be, we can meet them, ensuring you are worry-free for years to come. With our Life Care, you can enjoy independent living, home health care, skilled nursing, and rehabilitation for one entrance fee and a monthly fee that covers everything our lifestyle has to offer.
Worry Less and Live More at Harrogate!
Call for information at 866-606-0178 or visit our website.